Stanford & NYU report: Only 1 in 50 killed by US drones in Pakistan are militants; the rest are innocent civilians
October 17, 2012A new study shows that only one in 50 people killed by US assassination drones are militants in Pakistan while the rest are innocent civilians.
The study, conducted by Stanford and New York Universities, concludes that Washington is terrorizing women and children as well as men round the clock with its unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) attacks.
The authors of the study think that the “double-tap” method — a drone fires a missile, then followed by a second drone — is largely to blame for the casualties.
“This shows that drone strikes go much further than simply killing innocent civilians. An entire region is being terrorized by the constant threat of death from the skies,” said Clive Stafford Smith, the director of the charity Reprive that also participated in interviewing people for the report.
According to the study, Pakistan’s tribal areas near the border with Afghanistan have witnessed at least 345 drone strikes during the past eight years.
“These strikes are becoming much more common,” The Independent quoted Mirza Shahzad Akbar, a Pakistani lawyer who represents victims of drone strikes, as saying.
“In the past it used to be a one-off, every now and then. Now almost every other attack is a double tap. There is no justification for it.”
Research also shows the consequences are much more profound than simply the fatalities, as the survivors of the attacks suffer from deep psychological trauma.
Despite Pakistani government’s repeated calls on Washington to end the drone attacks, the US government continues its strikes on the tribal regions of the country.
The aerial attacks were initiated by former US President George W. Bush, but have escalated under President Barack Obama.
The drone strikes have triggered massive anti-US demonstrations across Pakistan to condemn the United States’ violations of their national sovereignty.
- deku--hime likes this
- pellygrine likes this
- jergle-oopz likes this
- contagiouscourage reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- battery4life likes this
- conservativedemocrat reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- hibahkhan12 reblogged this from thepeoplesrecord
- lost-in-netherland likes this
- spencernoirexoxo likes this
- sailorskeleton reblogged this from drawplay and added:
- whizpalace reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- pazzzalam reblogged this from talldarkarab
- thegirl-with-kaleidoscope-eyes likes this
- novemberfoxtrot reblogged this from o3ou3u
- mryarra reblogged this from o3ou3u
- o3ou3u reblogged this from flippylydia
- o3ou3u likes this
- flippylydia reblogged this from drawplay
- drawplay reblogged this from micromeow
- vegetablearian likes this
- jennifaire reblogged this from anotcleverblog and added:
- maiqilai reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- menacoptic likes this
- -everlasting likes this
- headofchancey reblogged this from unfortunately-itwasparadise
- anardorforemprise reblogged this from talldarkarab
- lighteningmccain reblogged this from fortunatelight
- mermmaid likes this
- catchnoplagues reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- warrierprncss reblogged this from fortunatelight
- 20863 reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- unfortunately-itwasparadise reblogged this from talldarkarab
- solitarygrrl reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- greaserghoul reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- anotcleverblog reblogged this from the-uncensored-she
- the-uncensored-she reblogged this from talldarkarab
- talldarkarab reblogged this from fortunatelight
- fortunatelight reblogged this from error-i-am-no-one
- daughteroftamahu reblogged this from visirion
- dablackhippyyy reblogged this from peopleofcolor
- micromeow reblogged this from cyborgmemoirs
- banji-realness likes this
- cyborgmemoirs reblogged this from strugglingtobeheard
- mademoisellemikasa reblogged this from macaroni-overlord
- macaroni-overlord reblogged this from positiveconnotation
- bayaningbituon reblogged this from thebigblackwolfe
- isquaretogod likes this
- error-i-am-no-one reblogged this from realworldnews
- daydrinkingdaydrinking likes this